I love fall! I have to say, its probably my favourite season, cozy sweaters, cute boots and of course all the apple pie and pumpkin spice flavours that come out.
The weather may be colder this time of year, which also makes it easier to turn to comfort foods. Hearty soups, warm beverages and bigger meals tend to be the theme during the fall season. In fact, its a really nice way to bring friends and family together for dinners, parties and gatherings that are surrounded by good food.
As with fall, I also love breakfast. Its been my favourite meal since I was a kid, I always looked forward to it! My main morning meals were usually some sort of cereal (it wasn't anything healthy unfortunately) or bagels with peanut butter and jam. On special occasions, my family would enjoy pancakes or waffles and this was a big treat.
Growing up, I think we become more aware of ourselves, both physically and mentally. We start caring about what goes into our body and how we treat it. I started eating "healthier" cereals for breakfast, then started on smoothies and sometimes oatmeal with fruit. Now, I typically enjoy bananas, apples or dates in the mornings. I still love all of this, but I understand this isn't always the most tasty, convenient choice for a family with kids for example. Thats why I also think we still need to enjoy life and let out that inner child once in a while, and bring on the pancakes!
To this day, I still love breakfast and look forward to fuelling my body with healthy, nutritious food to start my day. This fall, I have really been enjoying my own healthier version of pancakes on occasion. This is the perfect weekend recipe for the family to enjoy and won't leave you on a sugar high. These pancakes are gluten free, dairy free and refined sugar free! They are also quick and easy to make, which makes it a great choice for kids to enjoy making too.
Recipe "Fluffy, Vegan Pumpkin Spice Pancakes"
~ 1.5 cups gluten free oats
~ 1 large ripe banana
~ 1/2 cup almond or cashew milk
~ 1 tbsp organic vanilla extract
~ 1 tbsp baking powder
~ 1 tbsp Pumpkin Pie Spice (More if you really want a pumpkin flavour!)
Optional: Maca powder, I add this to mine and is perfectly safe for kids, I find it adds a nutty, caramel flavour!
1. In a mixing bowl, mash ripe banana, vanilla, almond milk and liquid stevia. Mix this together until a thick liquid forms. The banana should be mashed well.
2. In a high speed blender, add the oats, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder and optional maca powder. Blend until a flour mixture forms and the oats are a fine powder.
3. Combine both the wet and dry ingredients into one mixing bowl and stir until a thick batter forms. It should be fairly thick and not too runny, if its too dry, add more almond milk.
4. On a non-stick pan or skillet, place pancake batter in small ball forms and pat down to flatten into pancake shapes. They shouldn't be too thick or too small, otherwise they wont cook all the way through.They don't take long to cook so keep an eye on them when to flip.
5. Serve warm either topped with wild blueberries or 100% organic maple syrup. Makes about 4 pancakes. Enjoy!
I believe food should be fun, tasty, healthy and nourishing. I love coming up with new, healthy alternatives for our child-hood favourites! I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do and can share with family and friends this fall season🍂